The Halloween count down is on…18 days I believe. I’ve always enjoyed handmade costumes over store-bought, it allows you to give your outfit an extra personal touch. The creative challenge is a fun outlet for me each year to come up with new twists on a costume idea. Artist Pam Sommers crafted these fun headpieces to give the Sun & Moon costumes an enchanted look. When secured tightly to the headband the diy headpiece is comfortable, lightweight, and stays in place when moving around. Follow the tutorial below using the embellishments suggested or feel free to decorate your headpiece with whatever embellishments you have on hand.
Happy crafting friends!
- Foam board
- Gold & silver spray paint
- Acrylic paints
- Glass jewels
- Safety pin
DIY Headpiece Step-by-Step
- Draw the shape on foam board and cut out with scissors
- Use spray paint to cover the shape front and back; let dry.
- Paint on dimension using acrylic paints in different shades
- With a safety pin, poke holes along the bottom of the headpiece *Do not poke holes to closely to the edge or the wire will tear through the foam when attached to the headband.
- Sew the foam board headpiece on to the headband by weaving the wire through the holes. Secure tightly to the headband so that headpiece does not sway easily.
- Adorn the headpiece with jewels and beads by poking a hole and then threading the wire through to secure it in place. Secured the wire by twisting by hand.
Say Hello to Pam
Describe your artistic style – My artistic style is a little abstract and often has exaggerated colors. It’s usually based on things in nature.
Where do you find you inspiration? Nature, bright colors, traveling and different types of art inspire me. I especially love folk art, Australian aboriginal, abstract or impressionistic art.
What’s your favorite Halloween costume? I love a good prop with any costume!
Follow Pam on Instagram >> @pamelasommersart
Follow The Series
Part One >> Sun & Moon Costume Inspiration
Part Two >> Hair & Makeup Looks
Part Four >> How to recreate the look