Being a lover of fashion and clothes is not always easy on the wallet or my husband’s blood pressure. Cue in a choir of angelic “ahhhhhh’s” when I stumbled upon Thred Up. I had previously used the thrift store Twice – now acquired by eBay – and since I had good luck with Twice I figured I’d give Thred Up a chance. Best. Decision.
Every order that I have received has been of high quality (even the shoes) and has cost me only a fraction of the price I would have paid in store. Many times I find pieces from recent seasons and some are new with tags. I had been searching for weeks to find a cashmere sweater, not willing to pay full price, and ended up buying a 100% Italian cashmere sweater from J. Crew – new with tags – for only $40! And that was one of the most expensive items I have bought through Thred Up. I am hooked on shopping with them and the mobile app makes shopping on the go easy, ok sometimes a little too easy, but seriously you can’t beat the prices. I’ve bought shirts for as little as $4.99 and shoes for as little as $12.99. Sign up using my referral link and receive $20 towards your first purchase. Basically you are getting FREE clothes!
*Disclaimer: This is NOT a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I just love Thred Up and need to shout it from the rooftops!
What exactly is Thred Up?
Thred Up is a fashion resale website that you can use to buy and sell second hand clothing. They offer children’s clothing (boys and girls), women’s clothing, juniors clothing, shoes, handbags and wallets, and various accessories (belts, scarves, hats, etc.). Unfortunately, at the moment Thred Up doesn’t offer a men’s selection. The women’s clothing selection offers a range of sizes: regular, petite, plus, and maternity. Sizes run from XXS – XL and 00 – 16. Shoe sizes run from size 4 – 12, including half sizes.
Can You Trust Thred Up’s Quality?
Yes! Every item is hand inspected and goes through a 12-point quality checklist. They only resell items of high quality – meaning items are “practically new”. Like I mentioned before Thred Up offers new with tag items as well. Second hand items are flaw free, functional and fashionable. You can learn more about Thred Up’s quality standards here.
One of the great features I love about Thred Up are their boutique shops. Here are a few examples of the great curated boutiques:
- Style Shops – bohemian, cashmere, Paris street style and more!
- Denim Boutique
- New with tags
- Work wear
Thred Up has a great selection of brands to choose from, with some of the popular brands being: J. Crew, Gap, J Brand, Nine West, Zara, Loft, and Gymboree. Pretty much any brand you would find at the mall you can find on Thred Up. It’s great to try out brands you normally wouldn’t buy, especially when you can buy top quality at rock bottom prices.
How To Upcycle With Thred Up & Earn $$
Selling your used clothing is fast and easy with Thred Up’s free clean out kit. Make sure to visit the website to see what they are currently buying and brands they accept. Thred Up is selective about clothing they receive and typically approve 50% of items. Thred Up will donate any unaccepted items unless you select return assurance.
To earn the most from your items follow their DOT method:
On – trend
Items accepted under $60 will be paid up front after they are processed. Items accepted over $60 are paid on consignment; you will receive payment once the item sells. Pay out methods can be in the form of store credit, PayPal, or a donation to a cause. Use the earnings estimator to calculate your potential earnings.
- Name brand clothing
- Better selection
- Free returns with store credit
- Items are inspected
- Condition of item is listed
- Shop from your own home
- Offers new with tag items
- Offers children’s and maternity
- Inventory changes daily
- Paid shipping unless over $70
- $8.99 returns fee if not receiving store credit
- Condition isn’t specific (example: if condition lists minimal pilling, it will not list where on the item the pilling is located)
- Only size is given, no measurements
- Prices can be higher than local thrift stores
8 Buying Tips
Although using Thred Up is easy to use, I use specific tricks to get the most out of my shopping experience.
- Put items you like in your cart when you first see them. Items will stay in your cart for 24 hours giving you time to think about your purchases. Thred Up will send you a notification when items are about to expire.
- Check back frequently. Inventory changes daily, if you don’t find anything one day check back soon.
- Buy it if you love it. I’ve made the mistake of thinking an item will be there when I return, nine times out of ten it won’t be.
- Try new brands. If the item doesn’t fit you can always return it. My last order of clothes I returned about half because it didn’t fit right, but I’ve also found new brands that I love. Once you know what size you wear in a certain brand, it’ll be easier to shop that brand in the future.
- Use the filter feature. I can’t express enough how great the filter feature is. Filter by brand, size, style, color, condition, price – it makes searching for a specific item a breeze!
- Read the items condition description. Thred Up has high quality standards, but second hand items may have minimal wearing. The company is open and honest with each item and will state if there is any fading, spots, piling or needs washing. I’ve bought items with minimal fading or piling and I never would have noticed unless it was stated in the description.
- Read the Thred Up emails. They like to send out coupons and promotions regularly. Coupons for free shipping, percentages off, etc.
- Spread the word. Use a referral link and receive a $10 store credit for every person that places their first order (they must sign up through your referral link) – they get $10 to use towards their first order too! Bonus: you can use your store credits in conjunction with other promotions.
$10 Credit = FREE Clothes
Sign up using my referral link and receive $10 towards your first purchase. $10 can go far with Thred Up. Plus store credits can be combined with current promotions (they’ve been sending out 40% off coupons on the reg for new customers!)
Click here to sign up and start shopping!
Have you used Thred Up? I’d love to hear what you find & buy!
Let me know in the comments below!
Up cycle clean out bag photo courtesy of: Thred Up