I read the other day that keeping a journal means having a deliberate, thoughtful conversation with yourself and it stopped me in my tracks. How many of us actually take the time to slow down and check in with ourselves? We keep up with our children, our partners, friends & family and more often toss the scraps to ourselves. But in order for us to be the best for our family, we must take the time to take care of ourselves. Airlines don’t tell you to secure your oxygen mask first before helping others for nothing.
Keeping an effective journal can be your oxygen mask. However, effective journaling will look different for each person – what works for me may not work for you. I encourage you this month to sit down and have a heart to heart with yourself, what would you like to get out of journaling? Self awareness? A place to brain dump your thoughts? To relax at the end of the day? As a source of reflection? Whatever it may be always keep that goal in mind when taking the time to journal.
And remember, journaling can take on many forms – it doesn’t have to be just putting pen to paper writing down your daily thoughts. There isn’t any one size fits all method when it comes to keeping a journal. Here are a few ways you can switch it up:
- Use the bullet method
- Paint or draw
- Take photographs
- Skip the pen & paper all together and go digital by recording yourself
Explore different mediums and see what speaks to you.
Now on to this month’s prompts…
If you enjoy these prompts, please take a moment to pin them to Pinterest for other writers!
Remember that journaling can go beyond the days events, it can be a story of all the tiny pieces that make you, you. That’s where journal prompts come to serve as inspiration! They allow you to explore topics that you may not have thought of on your own.
Want more journal prompts?
- You can find past months’ prompts under the ‘Journal Prompts’ category in the menu bar.
- Take a screen shot of the monthly prompts by following along on Instagram – past month’s prompts are in the highlights!
- Pin all of the past month’s prompts for quick reference when writers block sets in.
- All monthly prompts are on the Eight Pepperberries ‘Writing’ Pinterest board.
- Get on the Eight Pepperberries list to be notified when the next prompts are released. You can sign up here.