Back in October I decided to jump on the essential oil train mainly for migraine relief, but since purchasing my first set of oils I am a believer in the health benefits that essential oils provide. Not only do the oils provide daily headache relief, I have integrated them in to my daily routine – oil in my morning water for a daily jump-start, relaxation at night, purifying my laundry, cleaning counter tops and floors, etc. I have become an advocate for using essentials oils in regards to health management.
What exactly are essential oils? An essential oil can be found in the roots, stems, leaves, resin, flowers, and rinds of a plant. Essential oils help the plant adapt to its environment, protect it against threats, and provides beneficial properties. Plants are fragrant to people and when the plant’s aromatic compounds are distilled they become a powerful tool in providing health benefits. [Source]
When first starting out, I purchased my oils individually with the exception of one pre-made blend (targeted at migraine and tension relief). After having success with the blend I started looking in to other essential oil blends, but quickly realized that purchasing all the blends I wanted would become costly. Thank goodness for the power of Pinterest – I was quickly able to find instructions on how to make my own blends (its super easy) and recipes that would focus on a specific health benefit. Plus they smell amazing!
Why make your own roller ball blend? For me, it comes down to the cost effectiveness and ease that making your own blends provides. You can use and blend single oils multiple times in various ways versus buying one premade blend for a specific purpose. Which means that single bottle of wild orange you purchased can be used by itself and in the focus blend and in the uplifting blend. As for using the roller ball – they are great for on the go and make applying oils easy peasy.
Essential oil blends combine the aromatherapy and medicinal benefits – they work in unison to provide a specific benefit: energy, focus, relaxation, etc. They focus on your emotional and physical well-being.
Choose Quality Oils
- Not all oils are created equal
- Some brands are therapeutic grade and some are not – some brands may contain fillers or additives
- Essential oils are absorbed through the skin, make sure to choose pure essential oils.
- Research your brand of choice for: plant source, harvesting techniques, distillation process, testing procedures, and purity of each oil.
- Take charge of your health – research brands and oils so you’ll know exactly what you are receiving.
The Blending Process
Essential oils are grouped by aromas, and oils from the same categories blend well together.
- Floral – Lavender, Geranium, Jasmine
- Woodsy – Pine, Cedarwood
- Earthy – Vetiver, Patchouli
- Herbaceous – Marjoram, Rosemary, Basil
- Minty – Peppermint, Spearmint, Wintergreen
- Medicinal – Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Melaleuca
- Spicy – Pepper, Clove, Cinnamon
- Oriental – Ginger, Patchouli
- Citrus – Wild Orange, Lemon, Lime
Choose oils that will provide you with the health benefits you seek. For more energy choose: grapefruit, lemon, orange, or citrus. For relaxation choose: lavender, cedarwood, or chamomile. You can also mix and match categories to create your own blend.
- Floral blends with woodsy, spicy and citrus aromas
- Minty blends with woodsy, earthy, herbaceous and citrus aromas
- Earthy blends with woodsy and minty aromas
- Citrus blends with floral, woodsy, minty, spicy and oriental aromas
Creating your own blends can be difficult at first and for an in-depth look at the blending process I recommend reading Growing Up Herbal’s step-by-step guide. And don’t underestimate the power of Google and Pinterest – simple search “energy blend”, “uplifting blend”, etc to find recipes.
Here are 5 of my favorite blends that I’ve recently mixed up. [Printable PDF version available at the end of this post]
Carrier oil – Coconut, Avocado, Jojoba
Step-by-Step (10 ml bottles)
- Fill roller ball 3/4 of the way with your carrier oil
- Add your essential oil drops
- Top off roller ball with more carrier oil
- Insert cap and screw on lid
- Shake gently to mix oils
- Let oils “rest” for 24-48 hours to completely blend together.
I hosted an essential oils beginners class a few weeks ago and had each guest make one of the above roller ball oil blends. It was a great way to jump-start their essential oil journey.
Which blend are you going to try?
Essential Oil Safety
Essential oils are strong and concentrated and can cause allergic reactions in some individuals. I highly recommend researching the safety of specific oils and brands you wish to use. You can learn more about essential oils from The Essential Life book or AromaWeb.com.
LearningAboutEOs.com offers unbiased information from certified aromatherapists regarding essential oils and how to safely use them.
I am not an essential oil expert and any advice or recommendation found within this post should not be taken as professional medical advice. These blends are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
Love what you just read?
Get on the Eight Pepperberries list! You’ll receive post directly to your inbox!
[Pssst! you’ll also receive other great freebies + printables, like this Glen Coco art print]