– Updated: September 2016 –
Fall is coming (imagine me saying that in my best Stark impersonation).
In all seriousness, Fall is my favorite season and with it comes the ability to incorporate booties in to my wardrobe. While I’m still a riding boot supporter, I’ve fully embraced the bootie trend over the past couple years. This year I am so excited because you can find so many varieties – flat, heeled, wedge, cut-out, laced, buckled, fringed, perforated – the options are limit less!
5 Styling Tips
Styling ankle boots is a whole new ball game compared to riding boots and how you wear them can take you from looking frumpy to fabulous. If you take anything away from this post I hope you remember this: booties are meant to be seen!
- Jeans should never scrunch at the ankle; your pant hem should skim the top of your boot.
- When wearing long jeans, roll the hem leaving ½” between the jean hem and the top of the boot.
- When wearing with leggings, pair with a longer top or jacket.
- Only long leggings, tights or skinny jeans should be tucked in to booties. Never pants, boot cut or straight leg jeans.
- Don’t stress over a tightly rolled perfect cuff, a simple imperfect cuff makes your outfit casual and easy.
Merrick White from Babble has great Right & Wrong visuals
For a more in-depth style guide visit Style Blue Print’s Booties 101: A How To Guide
6 Outfit Ideas
Booties can be worn many different ways. Pair them with skinny jeans, dresses, skirts, leggings, tights, and even trouser pants. Here are 5 outfit ideas to keep your legs looking slim and fabulous in booties.
Outfit #1 – Cuff or roll (once or twice) the hem to show a little ankle. Works best with skinny jeans & boyfriend jeans
Outfit #2 – Create a tall cuff hem by cuffing your jeans by 2-3 inches. Works best with long (not ankle length) skinny jeans.
Outfit # 3 – Pair with a dress. Works best with a dress with a hem that hits above the knee.
Outfit #4 – Tuck in to the boot. Works best with skinny jeans and long leggings.
Outfit #5 – Wear with tights. Works with skirts and dresses that hit above the knee.
Outfit #6 – Pair with a trouser pant. Works best with an ankle length pant that grazes the top of the boot.
Booties I’m Swooning Over
Booties are everywhere you look and come in a variety of style and color options. Here are some of my favorites for the upcoming fall season. Click on each bootie below to be taken to source.
How do you wear your booties?
Please share your outfit ideas in the comments below!